As a bit of fun – here’s a quick test to find out whether you need a search company or a recruitment agency. It’s 3 points for “Yes”; 2 points for “Maybe” and 1 point for “No”:
- Do you have difficulty recruiting good people?
- In your sector – do you perceive the top people never talk to recruitment agencies about career progression?
- Did it take more than 2 weeks to find the right person for your last recruitment exercise?
- In your experience, do recruitment agencies struggle to understand your business and what your requirements are?
- Does it frustrate you that recruitment agencies seem to promise a lot, but deliver little in terms of quality motivated candidates you can interview?
So? How did you score:
0 – 6: Your existing recruiters are looking after you well – there’s likely no problems for you finding the right people to hire.
7 – 10: Hmmm, recruitment agencies are doing OK but it’s hit & miss, and you perhaps don’t feel you are able to get hold of the top people in your market.
11 – 15: You’re typical of the kind of client we encounter; struggle to recruit good people, recruitment suppliers don’t get you the right people, you’re wasting time on interviewing poor quality candidates and not really making much progress when you need to recruit. You need a search company.
The vast majority of people aren’t looking for a new job at any one time, so aren’t talking to Recruitment Agencies or monitoring job adverts (either online or in print). Therefore – the majority of the best people in your sector are out of Recruitment Agencies’ reach and you can’t get access to them when you are looking to recruit.
A search company differs from Recruitment Agencies by focusing on pro-actively targeting individuals to market specific jobs. This pro-active method makes it a lot easier to find the right individuals for your job, rather than relying on a finite pool of “job-seekers” – who invariably don’t have the specific skills.
Don’t over-compromise on your next recruitment – make sure you get access to the best people you can get in your market.