PROJECT DESIGN ENGINEER - METROLOGY
Recognised as the world’s foremost Bore Gauge manufacturer, Bowers Metrology continues to lead the field within the area of internal measurement. Through customer demand, the Bowers range of instruments has grown in response to new and varied challenges, such as depth and external gauging. The company’s on-going programme of investment in high-end machine tools and other ancillary technologies, helps ensure that we continue to offer affordable, high quality products.
Knowledge and understanding of designing small mechanical assemblies, metal components, mouldsto house electronic
components and products with IP ratings.
Practical ability of assembling and carrying out functional testing of products.
Dexterity to ensure products perform to micron accuracy.
Understanding of designing parts to tight tolerances, including use of geometrical tolerancing.
Sound knowledge and understanding of technical design, the print process and engineering manufacturing procedures.
Competent project management, time management and organisational skills.
Excellent communication / interpersonal skills to interact successfully at all levels.
Able to generate new ideas, work creatively and follow a process through to completion.
Sound decision making skills.
Sound understanding of heat treatment and surface coating processes.
1. Designing and improving engineered products involves working with production, customer service, marketing, sales
and customers / agents to support and create marketable products. This involves documentation introduction for new
products, providing expertise and training to manufacturing and sales personnel;
2. Establish design concepts and evaluate design ideas based on factors such as appealing aesthetic appearance, design
function relationships, serviceability, materials and methods engineering, application, budget, price, production costs,
methods of production, market characteristics and customer specifications;
3. Produce practical design solutions to overcome technical and manufacturing issues associated with new and existing
4. Design test equipment, packaging and production jigs & fixtures to aid product performance, manufacturing and
5. Produce concept, layout, assembly and detail 2D / 3D CAD drawings to a required standard for presentation, evaluation,
and manufacturing or customer information purposes. Develop and improve 2D & 3D CAD drafting skills;
6. Aid the manufacture of prototype parts, building of both prototypes and initial production units to assess and establish
assembly characteristics in terms of product performance and ease of assembly;
7. Carry out product performance evaluation through functionality, fatigue and accuracy testing;
8. Keep drawing issue control and amendment issues up-to-date, together with any ISO project documentation to
maintain our ISO accreditation;
9. Produce supporting information such as specifications, standard product costs and instruction manuals;
10. Assist in the day to day design department’s activities and the interaction with other departments and customers;
11. Communicate with external suppliers and customers in a professional manner;
12. Confidentiality of project information and company activities is required, both internally within the company as well as
outside the company to third parties;
13. Travel within the UK and abroad with overnight stays as required.
There are no specialist Health & Safety issues related to this role.
Permanent (unless otherwise stated in the job title above).
Please complete the red "Apply for this job now" form and upload your CV. Our system then sends an e-mail to the specific individuals at Wynne Consulting who are working on this job.
Make your friends or colleagues aware of this job if you feel it would be of interest. E-mail them a link to this web page or ask them to call us on 03707 52 00 25 quoting the Job Reference Number.
To apply for this position you must be eligible to live and work in the UK. Wynne Consulting Limited acts as an Employment Agency as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003.